The Final Report and its appendices
- review the history of the response to HIV/AIDS in prisons, nationally and internationally;
- present relevant new developments in the area;
- examine whether there is a legal and/or ethical obligation to provide prisoners with the means that would allow them to protect themselves against contracting HIV;
- address the issue of the potential liability for not providing condoms, bleach, and sterile needles and the resulting transmission of HIV in prisons; and
- make recommendations for action.